Sunday, May 4, 2008

Emily

Here's my favorite pic of little Emily. She's one day old in it. She had so much hair at first that it looked like a Groucho Marx toupee. Hilarious. She is one good lookin' little girl, in my opinion. The other picture is of me in Kandahar shortly after the birth and knowledge that Mom and baby were okay and healthy. It was a great feeling. I'm a little surprised at how much I long to be there to hold her and see Marinda through this time. I knew it would be hard, but it's more frustrating than I expected. I've charged Marinda to send me at least one pic a day, and I hope to receive some video soon. It was awesome to hear her cry shortly after the birth. It's such an amazing feeling. Can't wait to see her in person! Thank you Mom and Dad for helping Marinda so much. She told me how you, Dad, put the swing together and that Emily loves it already. Mom, you did so much to help Marinda. Thanks so much. It's been great to read all of your nice comments about her. I'm so excited to be a dad. Any recommendations/advice, Dad? Here's what one of my Iraqi friends recommended:

Dear bin

Congratulation for your daughter ;
It is great feeling when the one become father.
before two year I get a boy named Ibrahim the feeling when he born
I can forget it .
There is some gold advice to brout up the daughter :-
a- cover her hair
b-long clothes
c-No toking with boyes

be care
best regards

Pretty good advice I think! This was from Ahmed Shihab who was the Municipality Engineer in Hawijah. I told him and FAwaz and Hadder about how I named Emily after Amal. Anyway, I love you all and finally got my password reset, so maybe I can start contributing a little more.

Ben

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again, Ben. So you're looking for dad advice, eh? A few things that seem to have worked well for our family--follow the prophet, daily dinner reports from the children on their day, fun Family Home Evenings, family prayer and scripture reading, consistent church activity--you know, all that stuff that was always the right answer. It works!

Nancy Shaha said...

Darling Children,
It's great reading all of your comments and I'm thrilled that we've discovered another way to keep in touch. I'm glad you're all impressed with beautiful little Emily...I had so much fun with her and can't wait to cuddle her again...the next time I get to, maybe I'll have a darling little girl on each arm since Natalie's debut is just around the corner. Stay tuned for additonal photos of adorable children. Be excellent to each other. xox CTR Mom

Nancy Shaha said...

I love the pink explosion! It looks so good on Emily...she's already irresistable, and Dad and I are going to return for a visit over Memorial Day unless Katie has called by then to tell me that another little girl is on her way...this is such a fun way to spend my time! Thanks to all of you for your Mother's Day greetings. Steve gave me the Robert Plant/Alison Kraus CD, and I like it a lot...some really good harmony in a couple of the songs. I sent a great card to my mom...it shows a photo of a toddler in a crib with a chimpanzee dressed in overalls, and the two of them are eating cookies. The message inside says, "Happy Mother's Day from me and my brother." I told Mom she could decide which brother. Anyway, she does so much better when she's engaged with a number of people and events. If any of you have time to call her periodically, I would really appreciate it. Thanks, and continue to excel. CTR I love you. Mom