So, I feel behooved to post this information taken directly from one of my class lecture notes.
Acutally, I probably shouldn't quote directly from the lecture notes... I don't think the lawyer in the family would approve! The long and short of it is that UV light causes cancer and there is no such thing as a safe tan since tanning is the body's response to skin damage. Basically when the skin is damaged by UV light the body responds by recruiting more melanocytes to make the skin darker. Any sunburn on your skin increases your chance of developing skin cancer. The UV light basically destroys your DNA and if you get exposed to enough of it your body can't keep up with the repairs. The longer you are exposed the greater your chances of developing skin cancer. Tanning beds are worse than normal sunlight because they use a wider spectrum of UV light than we are normally exposed to. This can lead to faster development of cancer and other harmful conditions. Long term exposure to the sun causes wrinkles and the aged appearance of several movie stars.
So you should try to avoid over-exposure to the sun and wear sunscreen when you are going to be out and about. And tanning booths are known as "cancer-coffins" among the dermatologists.
Anywho, I wanted to pass the word. Love you guys.
Dave
5 comments:
Dave, did you take these notes or were they printed out by your teacher for the lecture? If you took them, you are a killer note taker.
I just copy pasted them from an electronic copy of our lecture notes. I am no such note taker unfortunately. But skin cancer sucks so I thought I'd spread the word... I'm probably breaking copyright laws or something though. Doh! I was going to paraphrase it all but I'm too lazy.
Hey Steve, would you put the professor in the back?
Ha! Is that Joe? Truth lives!
Thanks Dave, another pleasurable leisure activity turned into something terrible by modern science. You guys ruin everything (ha ha ha).
Post a Comment