Tuesday, March 1, 2011


This is me and the "ratownik" (emergency response medic) who was working with the Polish Battle Group I was with the last two weeks. He was crazy and hilarious. He showed me a scar on his lower back where he had surgery, so he could walk again. He was unable to walk for 10 months after a fall. I asked him how many meters high the fall was and he answered, "a lot." Of course, having an old guy pointing out his scar just above his glutius crack was an experience worth remembering, especially when Polish explanations for why he's showing me his crack take a minute to register.

3 comments:

Patrick Shaha said...

Great photos, Ben; thanks. I envy you being with the troops--good time whenever spent with good soldiers. I don't envy the cold, however--that part you can keep. See you soon.
Love, Dad

Dave said...

These are awesome Ben! I love the crack story. Sometimes guys on the mission would show us some wild scars. They didn't believe that we weren't interested in actually SEEing the scar. I tried to tell the, "You know, you can get a good look at a T-bone steak by..."

Ben said...

Dave, the best scar story was from my friend Joe Hansen in Iraq. They were doing a MEDCAP when a burqa clad old woman wanted to show a scar. If you're wondering, they do go commando under the burqa, according to Hansen. Not to be too gross, but oranges and socks were involved in his explanation. Enjoy your chosen profession, Dave.