Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Polish Immersion Trip
Last week Em, Caroline, and I tagged along on Ben's Polish immersion trip to Dewey Beach in Delaware. Whoever goes to Delaware and who knew it was such a beautiful state? Despite it being crummy weather 3 out of the 4 days and everyone only speaking Polish, I had a great time! Something about getting out of the house. Below are Ben's three native Polish instructors and three of his state department classmates. Can you tell who's Polish and who's American?
This is V-tek (Polish derivation of Victor). He was truly one of a kind, to put it mildly. He would often wander from the group and we would find him throwing big chunks of wood across the beach (I guess he once was a discus thrower) or else picking up litter. He picks up trash as a hobby. He's eccentric, but according to Ben a genius. Ben thinks he's a fantastic teacher . As a linguist he speaks several languages and spoke to me in French.

Em's first time to the beach. She was terrified of the ocean
Em discussing Polish politics with V-tek
More of Em sipping lattes with the State Dept folks.
Can you tell what they are doing in this pic? They are actually singing a Polish song. I guess the Poles are really into singing. As you can tell, Ben was a willing participant. I am scoffing at him in the background.
Em soaking in the sun and V-tek's words of wisdom. By the end of the trip she had them all wrapped around her finger.
Who knew Delaware was such a beautiful state? Can you see the boats floating in the Atlantic?
The impressive bridge crossing back into Maryland. Notice that the sun finally came out the day we went back home!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment