Saturday, August 29, 2015

Gramma & Grampa Visit Shaha Bragg and Belvoir Contingents

We just returned from a good news/bad news trip to North Carolina and Virginia. The good news is that we got to see Joe, Bethany, Lucy, Hailey, Ryan, Dave, Wendy, Oakley and Peter, and they are all well and wonderful. The bad news is that we said good-bye to Joe for awhile and that he has to be away from his family for the next 10 months.  Upon arriving at Joe's apartment in Fayetteville, we encountered this 6-legged ghost haunting the area....the last pair of legs reveals a suspicious diaper...must be a baby ghost!
 
 
Ryan assisting with janitorial duties while the girls create art.

Joe and family after returning all of the furniture to the loan closet.

The girls were awesome at miniature golf, and Ryan was great at throwing all of the extra balls into the water hazards...good times!

We stopped briefly at a Sonic playground before saying good-bye to Major Joe and his beautiful family; Dad and I left from there, and Bethany and the kids took him to the embarkation point....tough day.
 
 
Next stop was Dave and Wendy's at Ft. Belvoir...the extra family was one that Ben and Marinda knew well in Monterey (the Lewises). Oakley and Peter are good friends with Ian and Elsa who were good buddies with Emily and Caroline...there's also an extra neighborhood friend in the picture.

Grandpa probably urging Oakley to go look at the ants at the playground.

On the Metro coming back from a visit to the Smithsonian.

Grandma and Grandpa engaged in their favorite activity, hanging out with the grandkids!

Looking at my Dad's photo in the database at the WWII monument...can never go there without shedding some tears.
 
Wendy received permission to travel to Philadelphia and meet her missionary brother on his preparation day (he's returning home in a few days and Wendy will not be able to go home to greet him). Dad and I went along to help during the three-hour drive and got to taste our first authentic Philly cheese steak sandwich too...a good day!

Oakley checking out the butterflies in the Natural History Museum...she's fascinated by bugs.

We all loved the static electricity effects from the playground slides...check out Oakley's hair!


3 comments:

Marinda said...

What great photos! I especially like the one of Joe's family at the playground… praying for them every day. Fun to see the pic of the Lewises. You guys are world class travelers!

wendy said...

I like the pictures of Joe's family too. They don't look too distraught in that sonic playground pic, but I can only imagine what kind of day that was. :( Thanks for posting but even more importantly, thanks for coming to visit! You guys really did a lot of driving and a LOT of entertaining. I hope you were able to take some giant naps when you got home. Oakley is already asking when we can see you again.

Marinda said...

I just saw these. I'm lame I know. Awesome pics! I especially like the cross-eyed Hailey at the playground. (this is Ben)