Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sabbath Doings

Church got cancelled (again) because of the snow. Seriously. It was like five inches and we would have been just fine. But, I guess I'm not complaining. So instead we went to the services at the National Cathedral. I assume most of you Shahas have been there already, but here's some pics to show the splendor of the place. I think it's like the 4th or 6th largest cathedral in the world (we didn't really have time for the tour). This pic shows how deep the place is... the lit up area in the back is where the altar is and where the services took place. Unfortunately, all the seats you see didn't exactly fill up... just the first couple of rows.

The stain glass was breathtaking...
The altar...
The organ pipes... the organ sounded beautiful, although the actual service was a little drab.


On the way home we stopped to take some pics as the sun was setting. This is the Memorial Bridge over the Potomac. The river was like a sheet of glass.
The Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument
The Washington Monument is sticking out of the top of my head. Em wouldn't look at the camera because she was obsessed with the plane going over our head.

4 comments:

Ben said...

There were two fags on the front row, not that there's anything wrong with that. Also, as you can see, Emily was spiritually sapped from the service.

Dave said...

Awesome stuff. We went to a big cathedral in Helena while we were there but I think you guys win. There were all these stain glass depictions of Bible stories. Right abover where we were sitting they had Moses with the Ten COmmandments and the scripture references was the one alluding to Joseph Smith! Sweet. I like Ben's blue steel look in the first one.

Ben said...

Thanks, Dave. It took a few shots, but I nailed it.

Dave said...

So I'm assuming you guys aren't going to have church tomorrow. How much snow did you get?