Friday, November 13, 2009

Veteran's Day

We ventured out to Arlington National Cemetery for a wreath laying ceremony and speech to be given by Pres. Obama. We almost didn't go because it was freezing cold, raining, and it was right during Emily's nap time. But, then I read on the internet that it was going to take place in the amphitheater. I thought, "Sweet. Indoors." So, here's the "amphitheater." Yes, I am culturally retarded. I blame it on my upbringing in Price. We didn't have amphitheaters there. The Prez: We were pretty dang close. Close enough, as Ben said, "to drill him in the head with a football." Nice thing to say about your commander in chief, eh?

Emily has a face off with one of the guards
Flag at half-mast in honor of the Ft. Hood victims.
The Bidens and the first lady. Sweet pic, eh? They are singing "God Bless America." I don't know who's standing between them. Maybe Laura and Jenna? (j/k)
Emily was actually really disruptive during the speech (as I mentioned, it was during nap time). We had to take turns taking her out. At one point I was standing listening to Obama's speech and I heard this loud high-pitched squeal off yonder. It was Em. I'm sure it was audible for everyone else too. So, yeah, you could say Em disrupted the President's speech. No kisses for her!

6 comments:

Dave said...

woah! These are awesome pictures! I've forgotten how cool it was to go to stuff like this when we lived in Virginia. Did President Obama lay the wreath on the tomb of the unknown soldier? Did you guys get to see the changing of the guard. I always thought that was the coolest thign ever. You guys are awesome.

Marinda said...

We didn't get to see him lay the wreath because they told us you could either watch him lay the wreath (which only takes a minutes) or else go to the amphitheater to listen to his speech which was after the wreath ceremony, but there wasn't enough room to do both. So, we got there early to the amphitheater and had a really good view of him. Then of course, right when the speech segment was to begin, all the people who had been at the wreath laying ceremony filtered in and stood right in front of us to block our view.

wendy said...

Who is really standing between Michelle Obama and the Bidens?

Nancy Shaha said...

You did have a great view, and I'm glad you survived the bad weather...we actually went to the same event when we lived there and Pres. Clinton was speaking. It was freezing cold that day too...I remember sitting on those stone benches and wishing the President would shorten his speech! Good for you for braving the storm, though, and I hope the speech was good. Take care. Love, Mom and Dad/Pat and Nancy

Dave said...

se la vie.

Ben said...

Wendy, I think that's Shinseki's wife. He's a former Chief of Staff of the Army now Obama's Secretary of Veteran's Affairs.