Monday, April 30, 2012

Steve Shaha's Excellent Adventure

Hello readers, I'm making this entry to give a report on my incredible experience today.  I took a detour on my way home from Fort Campbell to check out the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.  Needless to say, it was an awesome day of checking out great exhibits and seeing a bunch of cool stuff that is now indelibly imprinted on my brain.  I'm posting the photos that I took, you can't photograph most of the stuff in there but I still got some great shots.

The best thing I saw though, hands down, was a paper with the lyrics to The Clash's (my third-favorite band of all-time) "Tommy Gun" (my favorite song of theirs) handwritten by Joe Strummer...it was a spiritual experience.  Anyway, hope you enjoy the pictures and I highly recommend a visit to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland (consider it a required part of your cultural upbringing).  Until next time take care, keep the faith, and ROCK ON \m/

 Isn't it in a great location?
 Here's a shot of the front entrance to the building.  The Louvre's got nothing on THIS pyramid.

 For those of you wondering why the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland...this plaque should explain.
 I entered at the bottom level and this was the sight that greeted me.  This is the drum kit Alex Van Halen used during Van Halen's 1980 tour.  The bass drums have huge holes in the front (the only part that's there is the top portion displaying the Ludwig logo), and they're split into two portions connected by what appears to be the kind of tubing that leads from large HVAC units into the buildings they service.  Pretty cool.
This is Link Wray's guitar. 

 This is the banner from the legendary Rock Club CBGBs that used to be in New York City (those who claim that Punk originated in NYC credit this club as where Punk was born) and was the place every Eastern U.S. band aspired to play.

 Check out who was there to show me where to purchase my ticket.  All that would have made it better was if Jonesy and Bonzo had been there as well.
 My experience began in earnest in the Ahmet M. Ertegun (founder of Atlantic Records) Exhibition Hall.  The men on this wall are (from left to right) Buddy Holly, James Brown, and Little Richard.
The gentleman on the right is Chuck Berry 
 I saw this earlier in the day and didn't realize it was an exhibit.  This is Johnny Cash's tour bus.
Go to Cleveland and see the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, dude. So who the heck is Link Wray?? and what is a CBGB OMFOG??

Dave said...

Cool beans bro. Someday there will be a picture of you there... Maybe the one where you're all upset and grumpy looking when we were on that mountain in Hawaii.

Steve.Shaha said...

Dave, I seriously doubt that my picture will ever be in the only Hall of Fame that matters, but if it did I'd hope it would be one of me playing. And Dad, I'm not sure what the letters stand for in the banner...but that doesn't change the importance and awesomeness of CBGBs.

Anonymous said...

My acronym finder thinks CBGB is the name of the NYC club "Country, Bluegrass and Blues" and that the OMFUG stands for 'other music for urban gourmets'--at least that seems to fit. Also suggested is 'gormandizer' instead of gourmet (gormandizer is defined as one who eats ravenously or greedily). And now you know.

Ben said...

Awesome, Steve. Thanks for the post.

Steve.Shaha said...

No sweat Ben, maybe you could convince the rest of your brood to drive to Virginia from Monterey and you could work in a stop to Cleveland.

wendy said...

That's pretty cool Steve. I can't believe you haven't been there before now! You should post stuff like this more often.

Steve.Shaha said...

Thanks for the comment Wendy, going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has long been an ambition of mine...opportunity finally met with motive. And if I got to go to awesome places like that more often I would surely post stuff like that more often.