Monday, July 18, 2011

Athens

I am in Athens today. The only evidence you'll have is my word. Since CAroline chucked my camera to the floor, it has ceased to operate. That coupled with me stepping on it in 2006 in Iraq have convinced me to buy a new camera. I went to Acropolis and the Parliament/Tomb of teh Unknown Soldier. Both sites were really neat. The Parthenon sits way up high on a hill. I never realized. I ate some good Greek food at a nearby restaurant. They had really good food, especially cheese and dessert. The lamb was kind of like Iraq. It even feels a little like Iraq here. Minus explosions. I met some of the protesters. There's this one lady that has been singing/whining like a cat in a megaphone for the past 3 days. I asked the officer in chage of the change of the guard if she was driving them crazy yet. There's also this weird guy standing in front of the Parliament, frozen with his arms up in the air. I guess he thinks he's a prophet or something. He's been around for years, they said. The students also had a microphone/soapbox thing going which was interesting. The change of the guard is cool. They have these balls on their boots that make them look like Mickey Mouse boots. I go to meetings at the embassy tomorrow and then on to Turkey.

No comments: